Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cupcakes and Convictions

Cupcakes, second round.
Hey, look at me, all committed and everything.  I kept a blogging promise.
Blogger of integrity and forthrightness, over here. 
The one whose fingers are accidentally dyed yellow.

So this time around, obviously a little too much dye in the frosting.  (Distracted by howling and laughter from two separate boys.)  And I hate putting dye in the frosting.  So any natural dye alternatives would be appreciated for yellows, oranges, and greens.  Blues, purples, and pink, I've got covered.

I tried a "pudding" cupcake recipe this time.  I can't remember the link, because I pretty much printed out the first one I found on google.  The recipe said it made 24 cupcakes. 
Not true.
It made nearly 40 cupcakes. 
And somehow, I only made enough dye for about 14 cupcakes.

Last time, I had to basically beg Michael to take the cupcakes to work.  
This time I'm not sure what we'll do.


Today for school, Million helped make the cupcakes, helped clean the basement bathroom, played outside and pretended to be a baby bird, then we watched Charity Water movies about countries who don't have access to clean water.  Finally, we read two chapters in The Year of Plenty by Craig Goodwin.  I'm so glad Million is a good listener and will listen---mostly attentively---to reading material that is classified well above his age.  This book was a stretch for him, and he wiggled a bit, until I got to a chapter that dealt with CSA's. 

One of the things that I love most about this time period that we live in, is that it is rife with conviction.  There are good convictions and bad convictions, but when people express themselves, they do so passionately.  I am so glad that I've been given a chance to raise boys with cultural and global awareness.  It is completely difficult to be honest.  I want to shelter them.  And I do, in many ways.  But to be fair to myself, if their daddy and mommy are going to be working in France, helping the victims of s*x trafficking, I can't paint a perfect picture of what this world is like.  I can, however, give them tools to help make the right choices so that they will be men of passionate convictions and integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment