Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wrecked

My heart is in complete wreckage right now.


Do you know how many homeless and refugees are in your town?

What does your county do about women that they know beyond a shadow of a doubt are abusing substances while pregnant or recently after delivering?

Have you googled a homeless shelter in your town, only to find "related listings" being names of the most prominent bars?  Can you imagine the fear and sadness of those loved ones who are googling all of the bars in your city and then start their search in the homeless shelters?
Where can abused women find respite in your town?
How many teenagers are homeless in your city right now?


What began as a simple search for "refugee relief in __________, Minnesota" tonight ended up blowing the lid off of a Pandora's box of painful and very real circumstances going on all around me.

I don't know what to do about it. I live in an affluent community that tries to cover up pain and ugliness.  I found out tonight through a facebook thread that one of the girls I went to high school with was homeless during high school, living out of her car and then eventually the YMCA.  And I never knew. 

What do I do with this non-sanitized version of life around me? 
"How then shall we live?"
I don't have the answers tonight.
I doubt I will wake up tomorrow and magically have answers either.
But I will take one step.  And then another.  And then another.   

No comments:

Post a Comment