Monday, October 14, 2013

A Not-So-Idyllic Drive

Today I drove the boys to a "natural toy and cloth diapering store"  (You know the kind...expensive but beautiful toys accompanied by things that make parenting and poop look gorgeous).  It was 60 miles away.

On the way there, we sang songs, talked about road construction, plotted new business ideas, and we stopped for coffee and orange juice.  It was idyllic.

Our time in the store was wonderful.  We made it to the bathroom on time.  No one screamed.  We all were generally well-tempered.  We made our purchases, and left.

15 minutes into our drive home, I thought to myself "I ought to write a blog post about how I enjoy driving in the car with the boys."

Two seconds later, one child started a violent, unpredicted rage that lasted for 20 minutes, requiring a car pull-over. 

I am that glorious mom, who sat her toddler on top of the car in Walmart's parking lot and had to restrain him today while trying to play Holy Spirit and lecturing him about kindness and gentleness
I'm not sure if I were twitterizing this if I would hashtag it #lifewithtoddlers or #sinnermom or #heavenhelpme

It was not pretty.
And I lost my temper/did not maintain composure.

Later on in the car, I looked down at the Bible verse I was trying to memorize.

Argh.  Why does it have to be so convicting?  Every.  Time.

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. (James 3:17-18, ESV)

What kind of seeds was I sowing in my child?  I certainly wasn't making peace by lecturing him. And I certainly wasn't being wise.  

An apology was necessary.  And it was humbling.

Fortunately, my boy is always ready to forgive me when I apologize.  That is one really REALLY great thing about his little sinful heart.  He is quick to cover over wrongs.  And I could learn a thing or two from him in that area.  

What kind of things are you learning today?

No comments:

Post a Comment