Friday, September 5, 2014

Speaking Life and How I Blew It

What I had planned to blog about seems pretty hypocritical today.

Yesterday, I finally got around to writing a thank you letter to the speaker of the conference in January that I went to.

For a recap of that conference's notes, click here and here.

Sally Clarkson has been a mentor to me in more ways than she will ever know.
During the conference, she invited anyone who would come to sit at her table.  For some odd reason, I accepted her invitation. I kind of figured that Michael would slap his forehead and say "what were you thinking?" if I didn't, since I flew all the way to Denver to hear her.

I didn't know at the time I accepted her invitation that she would be so influential in comforting me during a sad time.  As I began to miscarry our baby during the second day of the conference, I told no one there.  She continued to speak life into me and ask me questions and show genuine hospitality.  Her grace-giving presence and kindness to an interloper (who realistically probably inconvenienced her) was a life-changing experience for me.

So what I was planning to post about today was an encouragement to anyone who would listen...."please continue to speak life into those around you.  Give them grace.  Show them the utmost kindness.  Even if it seems like they don't notice or that they've forgotten to thank you for nearly eight months."

And then this morning happened.  And I didn't make that choice.  I snapped and snarled.  I didn't speak out of love.  I ended up apologizing to my child because mommy gave vent to her anger which is not a wise or self-controlled thing to do.  (Proverbs 29:11, which he unfortunately has heard often enough to call me out on it.)  

But you know what?  I have a chance to try again this afternoon.
And I will do my best to do what my heart knows is the godly and gracious thing to do.
Join me in speaking life to those around you today.

Speak words of encouragement, words that give grace, words that will grow into life-giving thoughts and ideas.  Words that will make the world more beautiful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment