Thursday, September 4, 2014

Living With Courage

I think if I could boil down the two points that we've been intentionally scrambling at as a family this past month, it would be courage and simplicity.

The past several weeks, we've been faced with some things that require courage.  Not in a death-defying way. Just some changes to our plans, some girding of our loins for things to come, and beginning new adventures.

Last week, I had a moment where I realized that if I wanted my boys to live courageous and adventuresome lives, I could not face the uncertain with inappropriate fear.  I had a midwife appointment, and as things were going along, the resident doctor said "Wait a second, I think these measurements are quite wrong.  I have to get a second opinion."  

My heart stopped for a few seconds.

I've been intentionally trying to live fear- and worry-free with this pregnancy.  But it's not easy.  I don't want to taint the boys' perspective of pregnancy, and I also don't want to allow anxiety to eat me alive to the point where I cannot think rationally anymore.  

Fortunately, baby Jubilee is measuring big---a problem I would much rather prefer than measuring small.  But the experience reminded me that I need to address my fears if I'm going to be an example of courageous living to them.  My default reaction should be one of trust and courage.

I've been teaching the boys Joshua 1:9 as a memory verse...and the verse seems to be popping up wherever I go lately.

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Michael found this TED talk at work which addressed the topic of living courageously, so I thought I'd include the link here.  It was an interesting lesson in the physiological responses to both stress and courage.


And that's all I've got for today, aside from some photos of Michael's dumpster dive finds from a few days ago.  

a 10x12 blue rug that is a placeholder until we can budget for an 8x10 that we like.

A desk and a couple chairs, even after I've said "no" to several offers of school desks.

okay.  Not a dumpster dive find, but it is found that dark chocolate has excellent properties when dealing with stress or fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment