Monday, February 24, 2014

Grain Mills and Daily Bread

Grain mills.
That is what has been viciously circling in my head the past week or so.
Aside from the novel that I'm about to begin writing in less than a week.
I've been thinking about grain mills for about four years.  Maybe longer.  Can't remember for certain.

To buy a grain mill would be a serious commitment.
I don't think I'd be motivated enough to use a manual one.
Too much upper body strength and sweat required.
I know exactly which electric one I would want, should we ever get one. 
But...I just can't force myself to pay upwards of two hundred dollars for a grain mill.
I know the nutritional benefits.  I know the quality of bread is better.
It's just a commitment thing.

Million and I did a little experiment today as part of school.  We made up some brown rice flour in my "spice grinder" ($10 coffee grinder that I only use for spices).  It worked.  
 I then made up some whole-wheat/brown rice/flaxmeal dough in my breadmaker and baked it in the oven (my preferred method, because the bake function on my bread machine almost always over bakes or rises too high.) 

I couldn't get a picture of the loaf in one piece...
 Because the Bonnie Prince was up from a nap and obviously Needed Nourishment.

 Two pieces later, and I can safely say that a grain mill would be B.P.A. (Bonnie Prince Approved.)



No comments:

Post a Comment