Saturday, August 31, 2013

Letters to Million: Truth Spoken After a Good Day

To my oldest son:
Right now, you're sleeping.
You had a busy day; you played hard, lived hard, laughed hard, and did everything with every ounce of your being.
I just want you to know that I will always, always, always fight for you.
You have days when your little body doesn't know what to do, so you respond with hurt.
And I will hold you and nurture you.
You have days when the words you use are only intended to make me sad.
And I will forgive you.
You still try to put up walls to protect yourself.
But I am here.  With you.  Waiting for you.
There are days when I am so tired.
When I lack grace and patience.
When I could respond better.
When I should be quiet instead of whispering.
Or when I should speak truth loudly to your heart instead of holding you in silence.
But today?  Today was a good day.
I feel like we both did well.
And I just wanted to write this letter to you, knowing that there will be more hard days and more sad days.
Days when the truth in my heart might be undecipherable because of my human inadequacies.
You are precious.
You are loved.
You have always been wanted.
You have always been cherished.
You are prayed for.
You are loved.
You, my son, are loved.
I don't want you to lose sight of that.

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment