Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Recipes: Vegan Cornbread

If you have not tried blue cornmeal, you simply must!
Here's a recipe I tweaked to make vegan/healthier.  This was the most moist and sweet cornbread I've ever had, even before I added sugar on top :)  Michael loved it and said it tasted like it should be for dessert.

I went "vegan" for three months in college to prove I could do it.  I have to admit that at that time I was so much less aware than I am now about all of the potential "toxins". I now understand sugar is a debatable vegan topic, because of the animal bone char used occasionally to whiten sugar.  So if you're on the other side of the fence about sugar, feel free to substitute honey (for those who aren't opposed to insect products), agave nectar, maple syrup, etc.  For the record, we're not vegetarian by practice or principle (I love chicken; he loves beef!), but I do try to incorporate a lot of vegetarian foods (other than tofu---which Michael absolutely refuses to eat, but I don't mind) into our diet, simply for health reasons.


Heather's Vegan Cornbread

1 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C blue cornmeal
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 T sugar (or natural sweetener equivalent)
1/4 C coconut oil, melted
1 C milk
2 T ground flax/6 T water mixed together (in place of eggs)

in a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

Grease a 9x 1-1/2 inch round baking pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a small bowl combine flax, water, milk, and oil.  Add liquid mixture all at once to flour mixture.  Stir until just moistened.  Pour batter into pan.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Top with sugar or sweetener.
Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment