Saturday, August 13, 2011

Morning Misty Walks

Today is Michael's first day back at work, so Million, BonAmi, and I took a several-mile walk through the morning mist (Million in the Ergo).

As I walked through the mist this morning, my son nodding off, I was reminded of the many foggy mornings years ago when I was taking an advanced course in renaissance and reformation. Probably partially due to this memory, the discipline of lectio divina popped into my mind

The spiritual feast.
Am I feasting or fasting?

Kind of a personal question, isn't it?

One which I'm not going to answer right now, for my son is beginning to stir.

The mist also reminded me that autumn is on the way.
My favorite season.
A season of promise and new beginnings.
Car rides with the heater on.
Apple orchards.
Football games.
Pumpkin seeds.
Mulled spices.

Beauty in every moment, but especially compounded by the realization that life is short. Just like the lifespan of a leaf, our lives are temporal, over in the blink of an eye. Death comes, flanked by its cohorts pain and grief.

But there is the promise of spring after a long, cold, dark winter.
And that's my favorite part of fall.
The hope that comes with loss.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for writing this post. I know it's not meant for me (duh!), but I'll remember the little mention about what Fall means to you when times are tough. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete