Tuesday, October 28, 2014

More than Enough: Food Budgeting

Today I was asked fairly frankly about how much we budget for groceries each month.
And the person responded with a dropped jaw and a stammer when I answered.
After reflection, it reminded me that our budget would seem completely inadequate to some and a massive blessing to others.  I'm not going to be forthright here, but we don't come close to budgeting the amount suggested in the USDA's "Thrifty plan" for a family of four.
We live in a wealthy-ish area, with the population comprised largely of two-income medical profession families.
We are an anomaly in our social circles.  A very blessed anomaly.

It is my job to be content, to be creative, and to be frugal.
And to trust.

"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'  So we can confidently say,  'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?'"  Hebrews 13:5-6

A lot of people think that real food is so much more expensive.
Yes and no.
Real food can be purchased on a limited budget.
You have to be willing to make sacrifices, and many of those sacrifices are in the time department.  I have to be willing to make a lot of items in lieu of purchasing the "convenient" counterparts that don't meet our nutritional ideals.
But since I'm already at home and already in the practice of making sacrifices for our budget, I see how it is probably much easier for me to look at the time and not be daunted by it.
When I worked out of the home, I absolutely did not have energy at the end of the day to make meals.  So we ate out a lot.  Many times at 11 p.m., because of our differing shifts.
That doesn't work with kids.

Wherever you are today with your food budget or your work situation, please be encouraged.  We're all different.  We have different motivations.  We all want to eat healthfully.  And "health" is defined differently by individuals.  I know you're doing what you can.  Today was a good reminder for me that even though others may be shocked by how little our "enough" is....we still have enough.  I cannot allow culture or statistics to define whether or not God is providing for me.  We have enough.  More than enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment