Monday, April 1, 2013

I Just Don't Know How to Hug Them

My spiffy dude in his Easter clothes.
This morning at breakfast, Million turned to me and said "Sweetie Mama*, tell me a story."
And I answered, "Shall I tell you a story about Ethiopia?"
His response was enthusiastic, even though he knows exactly which story I'm going to tell, and nearly has it memorized.

We made it through the circumstances that led to his being in an orphanage, and he referred back to his birth family.

"I just don't know how to hug them, Mama.  I just don't know how."

And my eyes leaked out some love for him and for his family that he doesn't know how to hug.
Just another day in a post-adoption household.



*He's started occasionally calling me that, out of the blue.  Neither Michael nor I know where he picked it up....but I don't mind.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that brings tears to my eyes! Good reminder for Auntie Hillary that even though the adoption is 'past' it's never actually past and I need to keep praying for Million's birth family and his ability to love and respond in a healthy way to the story of his birth.

    ReplyDelete