Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Great 1000 Book...Quest

I asked Million if he wanted it to be an "Adventure" or an "Experiment."  He chose "Quest."
Apropos.

He and I (and Michael and Creedence when available) will be embarking on a quest, then.

We're going to read 1,000 children's books that I have not read before.

I saw the idea online as a 10-week summer project where you read 14 books a day.
Like that will happen around here.... snort.

So I haven't set our timeframe yet, but it could be by the end of the year.   If I were to start this weekend, it would be about 3.4 books a day....completely doable.

The only thing I haven't gotten sorted out yet is how to request books from our library so that they arrive in phases and not all in one clump.

I've gotten together a list of several hundred children's books that I have not read.  I'm hoping to put at least 700 on a list and then glean the other 300 from enjoying authors that I was not previously familiar with.  When I get the list formatted correctly, I'll make a page on the side of this blog so that you can check up on our progress every now and then (or steal a few titles to read for your own pleasure).

I'll not be writing book reviews.  But you see that crate up there?  That's Million's treasure chest.  Every so often, we'll be doing a craft or an activity that he can put inside of it to remember his favorite books.  Maybe every now and then I'll interview him or take a photo of something he put in his treasure chest.



I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.
I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.
I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness lent with his final breath.
I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a Mother who read to me.

"The Reading Mother" by Strickland Gillilan

1 comment: