Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lessons From A Familiar Song

Jesus loves me this I know...
The tired mother rocks her screaming toddler back and forth, back and forth, singing for what seems like hours on end.  He needs a nap.  She knows he needs a nap.  He knows he needs a nap.  He is completely dysregulated and barely functioning.

For the Bible tells me so...
"Bah-bo?"
"Yes, Bible, son... like in our other song that we sing."
"duh-BEE-duh-BEE-duh-BEEEEEE...  Bah-bo."
"Yes, dear.  The B-I-B-L-E is the song we sing about our Bible..."

Little ones to Him belong...
Mother tries to emphasize this by holding her little boy tightly... remembering that he is not her little boy, but God's little boy.  God has lent her this little boy to hold, care for, and nurture for a short while.  That means times of endurance like this.  Times of holding screaming little ones.  Because the screaming little ones belong to Jesus just as much as the giggly ones.


They are weak but He is strong...
Then mother realizes that this song is not about her son.  Not this time around at least.  She is so weak.  She is the one who is incapable, uncoordinated, inept.  She is the one who cannot do this on her own.  But Jesus is strong.  Jesus is capable.  Jesus can do this.

Yes, Jesus loves me.
"Really, Lord, why would you love me?  I've made mistakes A through Z today.  And some other letters that have yet to be discovered."

Yes, Jesus loves me.
 "Your persistence does you credit, God.  But I've sinned so many times today.  I haven't glorified you in my attitudes.  I've been overindulgent in some areas of my life.  I've chosen laziness over diligence.  Why would you love me?"

Yes, Jesus loves me.  The Bible tells me so.
"Okay, Lord.  Your word says you love me---despite my flaws.  Your word says you forgive me for them if I confess them.  Your word says you are faithful.  Your word is true and to be trusted.  I accept that you love me.  I need your strength to carry on today if I'm to be the wife and mother that You want me to be.

She looks down.  Her son has fallen asleep during this prayer/song to God.  She brushes a remaining tear off her son's face, kisses him, and tells him that God loves him no matter what.  She's proof of that.

And then she places her little gift in his bed, creeps quietly out of the room, closes the door, and breathes a prayer of thanksgiving for the lessons she continually learns through the simple things in life.




No comments:

Post a Comment